Tony the Tour Guy's Mostly 1970s NYC History Blog

Welcome to Tony the Tour Guy's blog! Here we feature Tony's rants about various topics in New York City history, with particular emphasis upon that typically unappreciated decade, the Seventies. For our purposes, the era began roughly at the time when Jimi Hendrix died (9/18/70) and ended with the presidency of Ronald Reagan and the freedom of the Iran hostages (1/20/81). We cover everything from Pet Rocks to the Moonies to Checker Taxicabs here, and welcome your participation.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Ricky Nelson Gets Booed; Goes Gold


Last time around I talked about those "Rock and Roll Revival" concerts. Well, one performer decided to break the unwritten rule of such nostalgia shows by performing new material, and had, well, a learning experience.

Rick (originally "Ricky") Nelson started out as an actor on the "Ozzie and Harriet" TV series, before having a string of country-influenced hits, including "Travelin' Man" and "Hello, Mary Lou." By the late Sixties, however, Nelson had grown tired of the teen idol pop scene, had moved to LA and was doing some creative stuff with leading musicians from the country-rock scene, including future members of Poco and the Eagles. In 1971 he appeared at a Rock and Roll Revival at Madison Square Garden. It was a bit like Dylan hitting the stage for the first time with an electric guitar. When Nelson came out with long hair the crowd booed him, and things only got worse when he and the band swang into the Rolling Stones' "Honky Tonk Women," hardly a 50s rockabilly tune.

Well, I am happy to say that Nelson had the last laugh, or should I say jeer. He wrote a tune about the experience entitled "Garden Party," which went gold in 1972. Here are the final two verses and the chorus.

I played them all the old songs. I thought that's why they came.
But no one heard the music. We didn't look the same.
I said hello to Mary Lou. She belongs to me.
But when I sang a song about a honky tonk, it was time to leave.

CHORUS:
But it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well.
You see you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself.

Someone opened up the closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode.
Playin' guitar like a ringin' a bell. And lookin' like he should.
If you've gotta play at Garden Parties, I wish you a lot of luck.
But if memories were all I sang, I'd rather drive a truck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home