Tony the Tour Guy's Mostly 1970s NYC History Blog

Welcome to Tony the Tour Guy's blog! Here we feature Tony's rants about various topics in New York City history, with particular emphasis upon that typically unappreciated decade, the Seventies. For our purposes, the era began roughly at the time when Jimi Hendrix died (9/18/70) and ended with the presidency of Ronald Reagan and the freedom of the Iran hostages (1/20/81). We cover everything from Pet Rocks to the Moonies to Checker Taxicabs here, and welcome your participation.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

"Mean Reefer and Chemicals" on 42 Street

Yeah, I know how cheesy 42 Street is now, what with McDonald's and Disney having replaced the XXX shows. At least the theatres were different from what you'd find at the Paramus shopping malls. But let's not be too nostalgic.  The Times Square of the 1970s was a dump, and people understandably avoided it. Here's one incident.

Back in 1977 I was hanging around in front of King Carol, a large record shop on the South Side of 42 Street between 6 and 7 Avenues, waiting for a friend. This young guy approaches me and extends his hand. I've never seen the guy before in my life. The dialogue has not been lost to memory:

Him: Hey, what's happenin' Soul Brother? (extends his hand)

Me: Nothing. (For the record, I am not Black).

Him: Come on, man, shake my hand!

(I shake his hand).

Him: Whatcha doin'?

Me: Waiting for a friend.

Him: I know what you're doing, man. Some guy was gonna sell you some reefer or chemicals, man, and he didn't even show up!

Me: Look, I...

Him: I'm tellin' you this, man, 'cause I got some mean reefer aaaand chemicals!"






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home